Dienstag, 1. September 2009

What I don't understand is my inability to write at a constant tempo. It seems that I have mad dashes of creativity that dazzle even me, and then long periods of nothing; and I mean absolutely nothing.
It's like I know I should write but I can't bring myself to tap the keys. I avoid even thinking about it.
Why, I wonder, is that so?
I am passionate about every story I do to the point of being able to sit for hours just staring into space, plotting my characters and all the misery that will befall them. Before I go to sleep I think about what I'm writing, envisaging how a scene will turn out or how a character is going to meet a grizzly end. Someone once suggested I take a notebook with me where ever I go, to jot down ideas as they hit me, but the fact of the matter is that I think about every project I start so much that ideas spring on me all the time. I've no shortage on the imagination front.
However, then it comes to actually putting down my ideas and I'm forced to wait until the mood takes me.
Why is that?

I know why I stopped on book two of Division. I was just fed up with all the waiting for an answer from the many agents I wrote to, I needed to move on.
The story's still there and if I hear anything positive I'll simply pick up from where I left off. But for now, I need a break from Markus von Struck and his crew.
Hence my little flurry with the short stories and now the newest project. This latest project is really interesting. I love making up my own little worlds and histories and the new storyline allows me to do just that. However, I haven't touched it for over a month now and can't seem to bring myself into the zone where I'm comfortable tapping the keys.

Well, there you go. Now you know why I'm so phlegmatic when it comes to writing. I haven't mentioned the shift work, house, kids and social life because anyone who has read my earlier whinges knows all about those, lol.

Whatever, I am feeling the need again slowly, so in a couple of days I think I'll be there again; in the zone…

Have a good one.
Reg :-)

1 Kommentar:

tee hat gesagt…

Well hun I think we all get like that from time to time. We almost feel we're letting the side down if words don't flow as in Jessica Fletcher of Murder She Wrote fame.Mind she spends more time solving murders than writing. I have yet to find a book written by her but she has written many many apparently. (LOL)
The last six months I got constantly disappointed by rejection and I don't care what anyone sez it does knock the sawdust and stuffing out of writers.We sit her penning works of wonder and it ends up in publishers trash cans.
However chin up. Just write when the urge takes you. NOT because we feel we have too.
How about a straight forward murder somewhere - maybe in Transylvania as you seem familiar with that area of the world. A tourist gets lost and take it from there. Maybe this is not a storyline you want but it may trigger other thoughts.
I'm trying to work up the energy to continue my blog now that the weather is on the wane.
The answer is out there as Fox Mulder would say. At least I think he did. lol